1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Definitely Hot Chocolate!
2. Does Santa wrap the presents or just set them under the tree? Santa has done both. When the kids were young Santa would wrap most of them except a large gift or two. If it was a Christmas with not much money, they would all be wrapped, so that they would feel they had received more and it took longer to get through the gifts.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? I prefer white but Jim likes the colored, so that it was we have done the last several years. But I don't know for sure what I will do this year.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? I have in the past, but it's been several years ago. So no, I don't normally.
5. When do you put your decorations up? Never before Dec 1st! Sometimes the first weekend of Dec but usually the 2nd weekend. I ALWAYS take them down the day after Christmas. I always had the day off and I was ready for things to get back to normal.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish, excluding dessert? I'm not sure I have one favorite. I really like Pistachio Salad during the holidays.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? Several come to mind actually.....there was the time my brother and I woke up during the night and my mom wasn't in bed yet so he convinced me to go to the kitchen for a drink of water and see what was going on. I headed in that direction and seen clothes draped over the couch, his electric guitar and amp....and I got scared and ran back to the room.
Naturally as I child I would sneak around to see if I could find the hidden presents. One year I found my first talking doll hidden in my great-grandma closet. And another year I found my Barbie doll case hidden in my grandma' closet and I would go in there everyday and smell the case. For some reason it smelled good to me, the vinyl I guess.
The hard part was acting totally surprised on Christmas morning!! LOL
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I honestly don't remember when I found out. I'm sure my brother told me first, but I probably wouldn't believe him.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes! That is a tradition since I was a young child and one I passed on to my kids. Of course we couldn't choose the biggest gift.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? I usually have several trees decorated. We have a 12' tree that we usually put up, then I have a 6' tree for the upstairs balcony and several smaller ones throughout the house. On the two main trees I put the lights on first, then I decide what color of Christmas balls I'm going to use. Sometimes the 6' tree has gold and clear balls and decorations. Sometimes I use only pastel balls that I have. Usually the 12' tree is decorated with older Christmas balls that belonged to my mother, some wooden ornaments that the kids painted when they were young, some gold metal figures that belonged to my grandmother. Then I add the candy canes and if I decide to use icicles I put them on last.
11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I spent over 25 years in Illinois, so now that I am in Arkansas I do not look forward to it. Oh, it's nice on Christmas morning to have just enough to cover the ground and make snow ice cream, as long as it would melt the next day. Or if my daughter-in-law is here from Georgia. But other than that....I don't need it.
12. Can you ice skate? When I was in high school, but I don't know if I still can. I prefer roller skates, not a single blade.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? One specific gift doesn't come to mind. I know I love all the Barbie dolls and accessories I got, plus my talking doll, and Tiny Tears, the Sno-Cone machine, the doll whose hair you could style (it was a large doll, actually it was just from below the shoulders up, but it was like human size), the monkey handle bars for my bike. That's a start anyway.
14. What is the most important thing about the holidays to you? Being with family, and helping others less fortunate.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? I enjoy the candy (i.e. fudge, divinity, christmas cookies, etc.), because we don't prepare it any other time of the year. I guess pumpkin pie would be my favorite as far as a dessert goes.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? I enjoy the opening of one gift on Christmas Eve. I get the final decision in which one they get to open and seeing the anticipation they have when they THINK they get to open any one they want.
17. What tops your tree? For years I had a gold star with glitter on it that my oldest made when he first started school. I wanted to replace it several years ago but I could never find just the right angel for it. Then a couple of years before my mom passed away she had bought herself and me a pretty angel for our trees. So it is very precious to me. It isn't anything fancy, but I love it for the obvious reasons.
18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Giving. I could sit all day and watch others open gifts. I wish I had an endless supply of money to buy and give to others...strangers, but those in my family who
have needs too.
19. What is your favorite Christmas song? O Beautiful Star of Bethlehem or It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas.
20. Candy Canes! Yuk or Yum? I used to like peppermint but I don't care for it much anymore, so I would say Yuk.