Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Mississippi Mud Cookies


Last night I made these Mississippi Mud cookies. These are Jim's favorite cookie.
If you are from the North you may have never had these. In the 25+ years I lived in Illinois I had never had one so I'm thinking it may be a "south'rn" thing....hence "Mississippi".

I don't know what it is exactly that a person does wrong when making these, but sometimes they don't set up like they should so they remain rather gooey. Well Jim prefers these gooey. All the relatives know if they make a batch of these and they turn out gooey, call Jim.



They are real simple to make and very good. I doubt this batch will survive till tomorrow evening. If your interested, here is the recipe.

1 stick of butter
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups of sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
2-1/2 - 3 cups instant oakts
1 tsp vanilla

Melt margarine in a large saucepan; add cocoa, sugar, salt and milk. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat; add peanut butter and stir until smooth. Stir in oats and vanilla. Drop by tablespoons onto waxed paper. Refrigerate until firm - about 1 hour.

No comments: