Sunday, June 07, 2009

All in a day.....

What a day!

I woke up this morning with a burst of energy and a desire to accomplish some things. First on my list was I stripped the sheets off of three of the beds, washed them and remade the beds.

While I was washing all those sheets the next thing I wanted to do was this cabinet.

My sister-in-law, Judy Gail, gave it to me a couple of weeks ago. It's in really good shape and I think it may have been a display cabinet or something from a store many years ago.

But the background is a tan and I'm wanting to put some of the teapots I collect in it. I didn't think they would stand out as well with that tannish background,

so I wanted to paint it this color! "Blue Hall" by ColorPlace (Walmart)

First coat.....

hmmmm....I'm not so sure about this.

I also didn't realize it was going to be so difficult to paint. It's hard to paint the top (ceiling) part and with the planks going vertical it was best to paint it with vertical strokes. It's a small enough area that that made it hard to do. Then trying to paint the bottom shelf....there wasn't enough clearance to just run your paint brush back and forth or it would hit the shelf. So I had to go in one direction or the other. Looks like I'm going to have to paint a second coat too!

While I was waiting for that to dry I started cleaning the tv room, vacumned everything there. Moved on to the bathroom. Next is the play room. Fortunately I was doing this before my 6-year-old grandson, Ethan, gets here later today. It seems like I always want to clean house on the day he is coming. What am I thinking??

Ok, I painted a second coat and this is what we have.

It's not quite as bold as it looks in this picture, but I'm still not sure I have the look I was going for.

Meantime, I've continued vacumning the foyer, living room, dining room and kitchen. I've also mopped the kitchen and foyer. Whew!

Look what we bought yesterday.

Fresh canteloupe. My husband cut it up and even brought me a plate....isn't he sweet! It was very good, but I'm really looking forward to cutting into that watermelon in a couple of days.

Jim and his brother, Buck, have decided to cook supper tonight. Hey I'm all for that! So they went to town and bought some of this. (Theres more on the other counter).

Let's see, we have corn on the cob (still in the husk), potatoes, onions, carrots, cabbage, polka kielbasa, and shrimp.


they are going to cook it in this........

yes, it's a NEW, CLEAN, garbage can. We had some friends in Ohio cook like this for us one time, and it was delicious!

You put some big rocks (I recommend you wash them first) in the bottom of the can, add water, just enough to cover the rocks. Then you stack the food in it beginning with the corn (still in the husks). Then we added the potatoes and carrots, they take longer to cook so we put them closer to the fire. The cabbage was put in next along with the onions and kielbasa.

You make a wood fire with some bricks around it to stand the can on. (I know, your thinking, they are using charcoal, but they decided they should have used wood like was suggested).

Cover, and steam for about 45 minutes to an hour. I gauged it according to how done the potatoes were. We also didn't add the shrimp until about the last 15 minutes.

My grandson said "This is delicious!" and it was. I don't eat shrimp and I'm not that crazy about carrots, so you don't see any on my plate. Boy that kielbasa sure was tender.

Then we topped it off with fresh baked Peach Cobber.

I admit, they bought it frozen!

Now that it's dry I can start filling it.......... Oh honey, I'm going to need to go shopping!!

It turned out a little more suttle than it looks in this picture. Honestly, I don't know if I like it...but I'm not ready to paint it again, so I guess I'll leave it this least for awhile.

The day finally came to an end about 10:00 pm. I'm tired.

No comments: